Suicide and Suicidal behaviors.
Suicide is the action of a person taking his/her own life. There are certain factors that increase the risk of one taking his own life. People with a mental health disorder are more likely to commit suicide. Research has shown that 90% of the people that commit suicide have a mental disorder during the time they commit suicide. Depression is the number one cause of suicide cases. However, there are other mental illnesses that may lead to suicide For example schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Apart from mental health disorder, suicidal thoughts can be triggered by;
- Drug abuse
- Previous attempts of suicide
- When one is diagnosed with a fatal illness e.g. HIV or cancer
- Being rejected or being isolated
Those likely to commit suicide many times experience feelings of hopelessness and sadness and they often think they do not have an option. Although it is quite difficult to know how one is feeling inwardly, there are certain signs that help one identify a person that is plotting to commit suicide. It is very important for one to know the following signs as one can assist a friend or even a family member that is having suicidal thoughts. [autoad]
Signs you are having suicidal thoughts
In case you are experiencing the following signs it is necessary that you call your local emergency number or seek help from a counselor:
- Feeling alone
- A constant feeling of hopelessness
- Abuse of alcohol and drugs
- Constantly feeling agitated and anxious
- Feeling as if there is no reason for living
- Thinking that suicide is the only way out
- Extreme mood swings
Signs that one is contemplating suicide
- Saying one has no reason for living
- One saying he/she feels hopeless
- When one keeps on searching on ways of committing suicide
- Too much sleep or lack of sleep
- When one does not what social interactions with other people
- Tremendous weight loss or gaining weight.
- Talking about actually planning to commit suicide
How people at the risk of suicide can be treated.
- Change of lifestyle
The risk of Suicide can be reduced by changing some lifestyle behaviors including;
- By avoiding drugs and alcohol since they increase suicidal thoughts
- Exercising –Research has revealed that physical exercise triggers production of a particular chemical in the brain that makes one happier.
- Sleeping at least seven hours every night
- Taking medication
Medication can be given as it helps in reducing symptoms that are caused by mental and physical illnesses. It helps reduce suicidal thoughts.
It teaches those with suicidal thoughts on how to manage stress and ways of working through stressful situations. They are taught on how to manage emotions that trigger suicidal thoughts. Psychotherapy helps in replacing negative thought with positive ones.
If you or you know someone that is considering suicide, get help from a suicide prevention hotline. It should be noted that suicide is a way out. There is no challenge that one cannot overcome ,seeking professional can help one have joy and live a purposeful life.